How awesome would it be if it would be possible to make custom connector configurations with very specific features?! Well, this is what went through my head and I started designing. I’ve done this in the past for a specific connector at my work where several jumpers needed to be set automatically. Instead of placing several jumpers I printed a connector with a specific pitch which fitted all these jumper connections at once. I’ve continued working on that idea and came with a tool holder with an embedded connector.
The download consists of the custom connector tool holder together with (fe)male (power) connector segments to make your own configurations. I move the segments to meet my configuration and combine these with the rest of a body which I design around it.
I definitely want to build upon this idea so I’m definitely not finished with this one! Some possibilities I see with this method are:
- Grouping specific functions in one connector
- Embedding connectors in enclosures or other features like a cable chain as I’ve done here
- Adding features which do not exist yet in connectors (like a shaft connection)
- Combining different connection types
- probably more that I haven’t thought of right now 😉
I’ve made a video about this connector idea in which you see me struggling a lot xD